At BYU there are signs on the newly planted grass that says, "I'm Trying To Grow Up, Please Don't Walk On Me". Somehow this always seems a strangely appropriate sign to my life and I'm sure the life of those young students at BYU.As Mamalissa and I rapidly move to the close of 8 blissfull years of marriage we are again struck with the question...what is Mel's Boy going to be when he grows up. This year the question is further aggravated by a couple of items.
1. It's is wicked expensive living down here in the land of Mormons. Family City USA or not it's tough. Thankfully I saw sub-two dollar gas on my way home last night so maybe there is some relief in site there. But I'm making more than I've ever made and I'm not far from making what Melissa and I were making when we were both working circa 1-2 B.C. (before children). But with the exception 1.5% cost of living increases (forget the fact that inflation is like three times that) I would guess I will max out my salary range in five years easy at the Y (unless I get a masters). Plus I just can't see myself at BYU for the next 30 years! In the food industry 10 years is an eternity at one location. I talked to a chef on Wednesday who is coming out of retirement because of the economy who spent 10 years at one hotel and was questioning how he ever stayed at one hotel for 10 years. So 30 years is like a life sentence.
2. I judged a high school culinary competition on Wednesday and was inspired culinarily to dig back into my books and remind myself of some of the classics and to start practicing knife cuts, etc.
3. I've been trying to get out of food for two years or more now but the online business thing is slow for a number of reasons not the least of which is the fact that I should be trying to do something food related since that's what I know - but I'm trying to get out of food.

We won't discuss my lack of focus, money, connections, or prowess. I have a friend that I grew up with who went bankrupt and something like three years later started a business that had over a million dollars in revenue year one and over 100 million dollars in revenue the second year. Now I don't need $1M but come on I'm a congress like budget in this house only I don't have several trillionaire friends who are willing to lend me $600 Million dollars to invest in failing banks, car makers, and airlines. (Speaking of keeping off the grass)

Oh let's not forget my frustration is being further frustrated by the fact that I am reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Maybe now was not a good time for that download. Oh well, great movie if you haven't seen it. I'm sure the book is even better. Charlie Trotter makes all of his new hires read it.
The final major dillemma is this. I love food, more to the point I love GOOD food and I live in Utah. If I were to start working in SLC or Park City or Sundance where I could do the quality of food I want I would be making even less money that I am now for the same hours or longer. I can't go solo (most likely) and do the level of food that I want to do with the hours I want to do them.

Family Faith Entertainment is a great concept and gets into my other passion which is clean wholesome fun with a faith aspect.
If I could work Faith and food (gourmet style) together I might be on to something but my problem becomes the whole Mormon thing. Green Jello and Dutch Oven potatoes are not high on my list of things I want to do for the rest of my life.
That's all for this post. Chime in and give us your love. Send my wife your condolences on 8 years of suffering. Tell us what you think I should be when I grow up. But remember not to walk on me! :-)
P.S. Did I mention that if I don't get out of the kitchen I am going to have a massive heart attack as I simultaneously slip into a sugar coma and die!
1 comment:
I think you should be a great husband and father and the rest won't really matter. You're already doing a great job. I don't know what I want to be either. I wish you all the best in figuring it out, though.
Post a Comment