At around 6:30 Saturday, 03 May Melissa called and told me that she was going to the hospital. So I, of course, left food cooking on the stoves at work and drove straight down to meet her.
After talking with some folks and sitting with her for awhile I went home to get something to eat and pass along news (Melissa's mother and sister were in town for Miles and Zipporah's b-day party.) While I was at home Melissa called (numerous times) and said that she was being transfered to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden.
So I sat down with Miles and Zipporah and explained somethings to them and then just as I was getting ready to tell the info to Melissa's family she called again and they had decided to send her to U of U hospital.
So I am currently writing this from a Starbucks inside U of U hospital. We arrived in SLC at approximately 2:00 AM we were talked to by Tom, Dick, Harry, Michael, Jane, and everyone else who was on duty in labor and delivery. (It's all good really at least they didn't ignore our presence. Although a couple of them could have.) I finally got to sleep around 4:00 AM and for those of you familiar with my inability to drive well at night and my propensity for falling asleep at the wheel should be happy to know that even though I had not had sleep for 18 hours at the time we left for SLC, the Lord stepped in and I did not dose once and saw the road relatively well all things considered (eternal construction).
So now this is where we sit.
- Melissa is 24 weeks 2 days so the baby is viable (no more talk from doctors about terminating the pregnancy)
- Next big hurdle is getting to 28 weeks so that Alesia is big enough for surgery equipment.
- Melissa is on bed rest here in the hospital until she delivers be it today, tomorrow, or in ten weeks.
- Baby's new due date is 11 July 2008. (Sound like close to another important date.) Basically everyone would really like Melissa and Alesia to get to 34 weeks. Once they are to that point all we have to worry about is the gastroschsis (kind of).
- Baby (Alesia Hope) needs to stay put another four weeks in order for us to get over the next hurdle which is that she is still too small to comfortably perform gastrochisis surgery.
- The kids and I are going to learn a lot about who we are and what that means with mom not home.
- Yes, moving from Logan is still on the agenda. No I don't have any prospects yet and yes all of this may throw a huge wrench into that plan and keep us in Logan longer than I would like.
More will come as we ease on down the road toward the emerald city. Thanks for your prayers, thoughts, and support. Alesia will be home before we know it.
Love,
Malik and Melissa
3 comments:
Is there anything that we can send to Melissa to help her stay a little easier? Books, Mags or music. Let us know we are only ahipping day away from getting anything to her.
You all stay in our prayers.
Amber
My mother-n-law works there, Vicki Woods in the New Born ICU. If you need or want anything I can sent it with her no-problems. They are great up there, my father-n-law just had a liver transplant and they were great to him. I can't the food is great, as your a cook, but they do what they can. So if you have a stranger or two stop in, it's probably my over friends father-n-law, Gordon and my caring Mother-n-law. Next time, I'm there, I sneak in to see you.
God Bless,
Susan
Wow Malik. This post brought back a flood of memories... from a dad's perspective. My advice, cherish the moments. You will find yourselves closer as a family, and to Heavenly Father. A quote the bishop hates, but certainly holds true here, it's not easy, but worth it.
Jim R.
Post a Comment