Hello all. I am writing to you from my hospital bed and home for the next however many weeks. I discovered that I am able to get wireless internet in my room and Karen has graciously offered the use of her laptop. (I can already see that having Karen close by will be my lifesaver through all of this).
It is so interesting to read Malik's take on the events that transpired over the weekend. Not that his statements are inaccurate, just slightly slanted to his point of view. I don't know that he ever mentioned WHY we ended up at the University Hospital.? Since my backslide a week ago Sunday I have been losing fluid and blood at an increased rate. Upon a friends advice I went in to the Logan labor and delivery to be checked out. I was hooked up to fetal monitors and discovered that I was having mild yet irregular contractions. They gave me a shot to stop contractions but felt that it would be best to send me to U of U since ultimately I will need to deliver here because of the baby's needed surgery. Because of hospital protocol they wanted to have me transported via ambulance and not in a car with Malik. The attending OB made it sound as if we might be making a long drive just to get a consult and long term plan from the doctors and surgeons here in SL. I think that both of us expected to be back in Logan by Monday night.
Once here they strapped me to monitors and found that I was still contracting and by speculum they guessed that I am dilated to approx. 3cm already. This is really only a guess since they don't want to perform a digital exam because of the risk of infection with the PROM. So they were concerned that I was really going to start laboring that day. Well, to shorten the story up a bit... I didn't start labor and have since become stable enough to be moved into a different wing of the hospital. I will remain in this wing until I deliver a baby- 34 weeks optimum and 28 weeks desirable. I am already on my 6th week since my water broke so we are already living the miracle and expecting it to keep going.
Today I met a lady over their Recreation Therapy program at the hospital. It is her job to help patients, especially long term patients, to remain active and positive. They provide many services like movies, books, puzzles, scrapbook materials, games, etc. They even provide yarn and crochet needles so maybe Amber you could send me some crochet patterns for baby blankets or something. :o) I think that program will be a big help in keeping my spirits up.
Well, I guess that is MY slant on our situation. Malik is going to be thrown into the fire with all of his new responsibilities but I know he can rise to the challenge. I know this situation has the ability to bring our family closer together if we let it.
love to all,
Melissa
p.s. Anybody in SLC should come and visit 2East Room #237 or just call direct 801-585-8529
2 comments:
Hey Melissa, I just wanted to say hi. I am glad that there is a program like that to help you have fun. We'll talk with you soon. Love, Em
Hey Melissa, I was reading Tawyna's blog and saw your's listed. I decided to check it out - I hope that's ok. I saw your note about the crochet patterns. My sister has a ton so I borrowed them from her - I'll get them to you soon!
Post a Comment