Tis the season... for tinsel and holly as well as snowfall and crowds everywhere. Perspective is funny. When I was growing up, I remember traveling to the mall in Orem a few times a year. Usually for school shopping and then around the holidays for Christmas shopping (growing up in a small town there wasn't much selection available). Coming to the city was so exciting and fun- something to be anticipated. Now that I live just block away from that same mall I try and avoid it at all costs. If I don't get my errands done before lunchtime then I just wait for another day to avoid all the people. Not sure what that says about me? Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe shopping without money just isn't all that fun anymore. At least I have a few years before my kids start asking to go hang out at the mall. Then I will really be old.....
At the beginning of the month we went to the Festive of Trees. Its an annual way to help raise money for Primary Children's Medical Center. Many of my friends babies were/are cared for at PCMC and Jonah would have been sent there if he had really had gastrochesis. Its a great hospital and they operate a lot on donations because no child is turned away for medical care.
Anyway, the festive is a good way to get into the holiday spirit. They have amazing trees, wreaths and gingerbread houses that they auction for loads of money. I posted a few of my favorites (though there were tons of cool trees).
Left: Pez Tree Right: Winnie the Pooh theme
Left: Beach theme Right: Tree made of blown glass- this was so cool. There were lights under the glass that flashed with music. Definitely not a kid friendly piece though. :)
Left: Noah's Ark Tree Right: Tree made of Golf Clubs (Baseball bats would have been better)
This was the gingerbread creation done by BYU. I don't think Malik was involved in making it but he did help transport it to the convention center (wait to go hon!)
Jonah is starting the roll over process. He can move his hips over and is starting to twist a little more. Mom is excited for his milestones but not encouraging him to grow up too fast.
This Gingerbread Haus was amazing.
This was the gingerbread creation done by BYU. I don't think Malik was involved in making it but he did help transport it to the convention center (wait to go hon!)
Another holiday first for our family this year was a performance of Handbell Ringers. They did a program at the local library and we enjoyed attending. Zipporah was even chosen as one of the children volunteers who got to ring a bell for one of the songs.
Most of the Marx grand kids made it into this picture. We had fun meeting up with my family in SLC for a weekend of holiday activities.
During our Marx gathering we staged the nativity. Here is Mary and Joseph and a shepard I think. Jonah got the lead role as the baby Jesus since he was the youngest boy baby this year.
When I finally convinced Parker to take a nap, this is how I found him. His fingers were in his ears and the blanket was actually over his head (he has been doing that a lot lately with the blanket). Silly boy.
This is a short video from the kids Christmas sing in which was Friday. Zipporah is on the top row third from the right. Miles is on the bottom row second from the right. Next to Miles is his friend Eduardo whom he is a full head taller than :) Its not a great recording but I thought it would be fun to post anyway. The song is Polar Puppy.
4 comments:
Those trees and houses are amazing... not to mention very creative. :) A Pez tree... so funny. My family would love that one. Your kids are growing up and I can't believe Jonah is starting to roll already. I hear ya about feeling old. I was talking to Talden the other day and realized that he was almost eye level with me! It was a little surreal. I guess that's why they say to cherish the little moments because you find yourself wondering where the time has gone. :)
I missed the festival, but some of the trees are at PCMC. I love the miniature marshmallow tree! It wouldn't last 30 seconds at my house, though.
Cute pic of Jonah...and not wanting him to grow up too fast sounds just like you! hehe. It's prolly just like me, too.
I love the whole smiley stage - Autumn's smack in the middle of it, too.
I didn't know that the Festival of Trees was to help money to PCMC. That is so great way to help others out to help pay for the medical costs. Alyson's Glenn surgery will be in February so I will probably email you to get the emails of your friends to see about their experiences. I do know of the RM House but we actually stayed with a friend that lived in the Avenues so I was only 5 minutes away from the hospital anyway. I have your email so I will chat you sometime in the next few days. I cant believe how your kids have grown. That is so great Jonah is doing so well. We hope you have a very Merry Christmas....it's only in a few short days!!! :)
hey I was having trouble seeing your blog correctly in Mozilla, it seems the template was just showing html code at the top and making the formatting wrong, so I tried it in Internet Explorer and the BOTTOM of the blog shows only the html code, but the top part is OK now. Char's blog, mine, Craig and Sterling's are all OK, no matter which browser I use. So I wonder if it is your template. Maybe it needs 're-installed' so to speak. The formatting is OK in IE, but not mozilla, but the code still shows at the bottom of the page. Tabby
Post a Comment