So it has been awhile since I last posted and I do apologize for that. This last week was absolutely crazy for me at work. I was at work before dawn four out of six days last week. From Monday to Friday I was a part of feeding over 40 to 50 thousand people (well a couple of the big guys might have eaten twice). This week was University Conference (which included a breakfast for 5000-ish), New Student Orientation, and the first football game of the season. ALL IN ONE WEEK!!! Who plans these things? Not me that's for sure. New Student Orientation? What could they possibly need to know that they're going to learn in two days. The campus is 560 ACRES!!!!!! They are NEVER going to remember it all. Besides they are leaving home for the first time, dad has given them a wad of cash for their pockets, mom but some "emergency" money in there bank accounts and now they are in sole control of their lives!!!! Come on now I guarantee 75% of them heard nothing that you said and 50% of the one who heard something thought it was lame and just wanted their family (oh yeah they bring the WHOLE famn damily with them - it family vacation part deux) to leave so they can cut loose. I promise you little Molly & Peter Freshman will have spent all of Dad's cash by now and will be dipping into mom's "emergency" fund as soon as they can find an ATM Monday morning!
Anyway, I think that is enough ranting about the idiocy of Freshman Orientation. I will say though (and anyone who has been to BYU can vouch for me here) the one thing they will need a four-day training session on is getting around the library. That place is nuts! I went in just to look around and couldn't even find a copy of the newspaper. There's a big map on one of the floors and it should have sprawled across it "You can't find it here!" or maybe even the Dantesque "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here!"
My favorite image from University Conference Breakfast. There were two of these tub o' drinks on either side of the patio chucked full of drinks in ice water. There were fish nets provided for "fishing" out your beverage of choice!
Okay so really I was going to write a post and talk about some developments at my job and related a story or two aobut things that I've seen since arriving in Oz. I promise to put some good things in because I know my good wife is desperate for me to like my new job and stay at it for awhile.
Development #1 (okay really let's be honest there is only one)
My supervisor, Banquet Chef, has given his two weeks notice and will be departing the kitchen on 10 September 2008. This means that starting 11 September (no the irony of the date has not escaped me) I will be in charge of the kitchen as interim banquet chef. (Yes, indeed if you are in Utah you might want to tune in to the local news that night just in case!) But the real kicker is that since he announced that he was leaving (Tuesday - I knew weeks ago but that's another story) I have no less than three or four people A DAY approach me about applying for the job. All of them, amazingly enough, are of the mindset that I should apply for it. It would be a refreshing change if someone would walk up to me and say, "Malik, I sure hope you don't plan on applying for that position because you would be a hopeless failure at it." Just for a change, you know. Anyway I am still contemplating the job but I don't feel like I need to rush into it. I like the job I have right now and I like the kitchen as a whole (there ya go lissacakes, you can stop holding your breath now.) My main concern would be someone from the outside coming in and changing the mood and atmosphere of the kitchen in a negative manner. It's also my concern that I would get the job and change the mood and atmosphere of the kitchen in a negative manner. Go figure.
Man this post is getting long already and I haven't even gotten into the pros and cons of the job. Okay here it goes:
Pro: It's BYU Dining Services. Right now I feel really safe and stable at this job and that is a good thing that I haven't had in six years or so!
Con: It's BYU Dining Services. Mormons are a cheap, palateless, unimaginative group of eaters (not including the chic mormons who read this blog, of course) and you can only make roast beef & dutch oven potatoes before you want to just scream. Oh and let's not forget bad lasagna, we mormons LOVE (or should I say heart) bad lasagna in all its quises! (Actually I'm in the process or remedying this problem at work right now. I will NOT serve bad lasagna. I'm willing to use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in the intrest of the bottom line but I will not allow gross, bland, and gloppy lasagna to leave my kitchen!)
Pro: It's a "dare to be great situation." Anyone remember that line from the 1989 CLASSIC "Say Anything" (That's what the should be doing during Freshman (New Student) Orientation is showing these young whipper snappers what real cinema is all about. There are more classic real world quotes in the movie "Say Anything" than in any other movie I can think of right now!) Anyway, a couple times in my life (actually in the last six years or so) I have had the opportunity to recognize the person that others see me as - either through remarks they've made or looks they've given - and I am really striving to be that person. Bishop Bruce Nelson talks about being reminded of who you truly are (a son or daughter of God). I think too I've always wanted to do something memorable. (for example I just reconnected with two old friends from Jr. High and High School, one has a radio show and real estate investment company and generated 110 million dollars in revenue one year. Another was just nominated for 2 Emmys - this is not the first two he has been nominated for.) But in order to get to the level I want to be at I need to hone, learn, and acquire some skills I do not have yet and I'm never going to get them simply listening and reading personal development books.
Con: It's a "dare to be great situation." It's been a rough three years! (I Can NOT believe it's only been three years.) I have put my family through the ringer daring to be great. Maybe it would be best to simply lay low and do the supporting actor role for now. There is something to be said for not being in charge. Daring to be great is also daring to fail. I don't mind failing...well not as much as I use to anyway. But it would be nice for my kids to see me be successful.
Pro: This would force me back into food full-time mentally, physically, and emotionally. I love heart food. I get so excited when I make something and I taste it and I know that's the stuff. I love when I make something and I know in my soul that it's in league with the big boys. The director of dining services right now is keen on bringing BYU food up to par with East Coast Elite and I love a good challenge!
Con: This would force me back into food full-time mentally, physically, and emotionally. I have been gradually checking out of the industry and was actually all out for all intents and purposes most of last year. Taking this job would jettison me back into the thick of things overnight! I'm not sure I want to be that far in again right now and like I said above the director of dining services right now is keen on bringing BYU food up to par with East Coast Elite the difference is that the east coast schools are not feeding mormons, working with mormons, or trying to influence the mindsets and predjudices of mormons. (See comment above about palateless mormons.) I never learned how to seperate my food from myself and find myself taking things personally. Especially if it was something I loved and everyone else doesn't like it.
Anyway, Y'all are welcome to sound off I always like to hear outside perspectives on things. Honestly I've pretty much made up my mind on the matter but I'm not telling anyone (sorry mamalissa that means anyone) what I'm planning until I'm 100%. But maybe someone out there will have something to say that I haven't heard yet. Like my good friend Jez who knows as well as anyone that no matter how much you try to get out of the food industry it always sucks you back in like some sick, twisted, culinary vortex of horror!
I guess I'll wait for storytelling in my next post.
Love y'all, Git 'R Done!
Addendum
I forgot a Pro and Con.
Pro: It has the potential of a lot more money. $15k more in the next three to five without parole.
Con: It has the potential of a lot more money. But every job I've EVER taken for money ended up sucking the big toe!
6 comments:
Here's how I see things. If an opportunity comes your way, take it and after you've done the interview and they offer it you, you don't always have to take it. But I think that you would bring "positive" to the kitchen. Of course, I've never tasted your cooking, so we might have to remeady that at a family reunion or something.
Thanks for sharing your families life with me.
Your wife's cuz,
Susan
I say go for the 'gusto'. The opportunity is presenting itself, maybe not on a silver platter, but it's there ready for the taking. I think you should make a go for it. If you don't try you'll always question yourself with "what if". Besides, adding spices, other than salt and pepper, may just change those palateless tastes of theirs. Pray about it bro. Take care, Melanie
I sure hope someday to be one of those chic mormon mommy cooks you speak of... who am I kidding really though? ;) I stink at making decisions, so I won't try to make yours! I am still keeping my ears open for any housing options, too. I will be excited to see what happens... and I'm here to help.
Camille remember the words of Gusteau, "Anyone can cook." Seriously, it's not rocket science. Look at me there is a reason I do what I do. Practice, attention, and passion. Besides you desire more. My beef (no pun intended) is with those who have no intrest in eating better tasting food at all!
All I know is I have always liked anything I was lucky enough to partake of made by your skilled hands! Once Melissa brought us (I don't know if I have the name right) Tomato Curry soup? Something from the restaurant. Good Eats. And another meal you did for a church function. Although I must admit that I do have a boring palette as well. Although I am trying to teach it new things. I have tried LOTS of new things since moving here. Good luck with the job and the house hunting.
I think you should chuck it all and be a writer. I find your blog quite entertaining!
First and foremost pray about what to do and then listen!!
In the eyes of your kids you are successful you got them here and you keep them fed and safe! I am sure you are a FUN Daddy that is important to!
Success can be many things and not any of them have to be known by anyone but your family.
With love, Cousin Wendy
Post a Comment