Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Transition

I guess it's my turn to post about the goings on of our not so little family.

As many of you know I have been without work for nearly 60 days taking care of children and supporting my wife while she was on bedrest. Well, with the kids at Grandmanita's house over yonder in Roosevelt and Melissa more-or-less permacamped at the Ronald McDonald House in SLC, the time has come for me to get back out into the fields and thrust in my sickle and reap forth some good!

Several of you also know that we found ourselves faced with a bit of a pickle. We had two choices neither of them easy, neither of them the "ideal" situation, neither of them life improving. (ooh Yippee!!!) Choice number 1 - Stay in Logan I could get a FT and a PT job and we stick it out for a few more years in Logan waiting for something...else. Number B - Accept a job at BYU move the family to Provo, figure out a way to sell (or rent) the house and every other blah, blah, blah that goes with moving a family already spread out across three counties with no one living FT at the property that needs to be vacated. (This would have been easier if Melissa had stayed pregnant longer - Drat Woman! :-) ).

There was actually a third choice and that was for me to reenroll at Bridgerland Applied Technology College finish my web development training and then look at getting a job (out of the valley, of course) in a year or so.

Well I won't bore you with all of the pros and cons, the could've; would've; should'ves. And I'll just lay it out straight for you. We're moving to Provo. I start my job Monday, 14 July 2008 as a Sous Chef in the Catering arm of BYU Dining Services. I'll be working in the catering hot kitchen. (The major upside is that I'm taking a lower ranking position from the last several I've had in Logan and getting $6K more a year for it! - Of Course, cost of living is going to be higher but if I'm making more at a lower position then I can only go up.) My brother-in-law Craig said it best when he said that there is nothing for me in Logan.

I've gotten a lot of questions about whether or not I think I will like my job or not. Honestly, I can't say one way or another. I didn't take the job because it was a great career move for me. I've been trying to get out of the kitchen for a couple of years now and it just ain't happenin'! I couldn't guarantee me or my family that changing careers would make life any better for us so I've opted to stay in this one for now. I know what I want to do and I don't need to go back to school to do it I just need to be diligent and steadfast. My time is coming and I'll get what I've come for sooner or later.

So for now I'm "moving" to SLC and I'll board with Melissa at the Ronald McDonlad House when I can and I'll start working immediately. It's a fresh start to the next 35 years of my life. I will say this I am optimistic about the future. I don't know if I'm ready for BYU though. (I'm not sure BYU is ready for me!) I do know that being at BYU is going to make me a big Aggie fan. Bigger than I ever was while going to school or working at USU. One thing that does suck is that I just started growing semi-respectable facial hair and now I have to shave it. (Maybe I can get a dermatologist to write me a doctor's note!) You wait 35 years to grow a decent gotee (and I don't even have that yet) and then the man comes down on you.

Well I managed to fritter away the day. It wasn't intentional but I'm also not too sad about it since this will be one of my last fritterable days for awhile. (It's going to take me weeks to empty out this house. Oh how I wish someone would come and rob the place of all this junk - especially the toys in the kids' rooms).

Thanks everyone for your support. We look forward to having you all come and visit our digs in Happy Valley, USA (Oy! May the force be with me!) whenever we figure out where those might be.

3 comments:

Melanie Draper said...

Congrats on the decision. We hope that things in Provo work out for the best for you guys.

As for the moving bit I only have two words of advice... GARAGE SALE! It gives you less to move and puts a little cash in your pocket. Here on Ft. Riley we have a major post-wide garage sale every spring and fall. I've unloaded a bunch of stuff and made a couple of bucks too.

Anyway, keep us updated on your new adventures with the growing family and new job.

Our Crazy Family said...

Congratulations on making a decision. We will miss you up here. Let us know if you need any help moving. We are glad to do what we can. Good luck I hope that the move is good for you guys.

Stephen and Heather said...

I think you guys will like it in Provo. Good Luck. Let us know when the moving party is and we will all show up and help you pack. Seriously, let us know.