As most of you already know, we are back in Logan. Actually Jonah and Mom are back in Logan, Dad is in Provo and Zipporah, Miles and Parker are currently in Wyoming. The Hamiltons are Livin la vida loca this summer! Since I am such a slacker blogger I will take the liberty of back tracking a week to July 23rd beginning at approximately 2:30pm MST. This is the first time that I am asked by the charge nurse if we would be interested in having Jonah back transported to Logan Regional Medical Center. This comes as a huge surprise to me because I had questioned a nurse a few weeks back about this topic and she indicated that insurance companies don't often authorize the transport of babies to other locations unless medically necessary. I thought that was the end of the story but this charge nurse said that she would make some calls and look into whether Logan Regional could accomodate Jonah. At 3:00pm MST I hear back from her that it can be arranged and that he will be sent the following day.
At this point I am starting to reel from the shift in plans when the nurse comes to the cribside again and informs me that a transport team is available that day and will be leaving in less than two hours. Now I am starting to get all emotional and not sure if I am ready to leave Salt Lake (my zone of comfort for the past three months). It was a really hard day for me. Malik likened it to my leaving the 2East maternity wing after having Jonah because I kept dragging my feet and thinking of excuses of why we should stay. Then I talked with Jonah's primary nurse Maria (our fav at the U) and she assured me that moving was a good sign that Jonah is doing well and that it will be good for our family as well. Malik also helped me to realize that this move is an answer to a prayer- maybe not voiced but understood by God none the less. So I left the hospital in a dash to check out of the Ronald McDonald House and prepare to leave with Jonah. Luck (or providence) would have it that I had already cleaned out the room earlier that morning and only needed to finish up. I met up with my good friend and bed rest buddy Patty who helped me to get on my way. I will miss her now that we are separating but we know that she and Little Laurie are where they need to be. :)
At this point I am starting to reel from the shift in plans when the nurse comes to the cribside again and informs me that a transport team is available that day and will be leaving in less than two hours. Now I am starting to get all emotional and not sure if I am ready to leave Salt Lake (my zone of comfort for the past three months). It was a really hard day for me. Malik likened it to my leaving the 2East maternity wing after having Jonah because I kept dragging my feet and thinking of excuses of why we should stay. Then I talked with Jonah's primary nurse Maria (our fav at the U) and she assured me that moving was a good sign that Jonah is doing well and that it will be good for our family as well. Malik also helped me to realize that this move is an answer to a prayer- maybe not voiced but understood by God none the less. So I left the hospital in a dash to check out of the Ronald McDonald House and prepare to leave with Jonah. Luck (or providence) would have it that I had already cleaned out the room earlier that morning and only needed to finish up. I met up with my good friend and bed rest buddy Patty who helped me to get on my way. I will miss her now that we are separating but we know that she and Little Laurie are where they need to be. :)
Life in the Logan NICU is very different from the U of U. It is taking Malik and I some time to adjust to the changes. The biggest disappointment about Logan is their sibling policy; they only allow siblings under 13 years old ONE visit with the baby for the baby's entire NICU stay. Its only a Level 1 NICU so most of the babies don't stay that long but still, ONE visit? Come on! I guess that I was bound to make comparisons but I am trying to have a good attitude about the switch. There are some great nurses and staff here in Logan so I'll stop complaining for now.
The kids arrived in Logan on Friday night and were happy to see mom.(however Parker continued to call me Grandma for three days) Malik was tired from all his driving and so it was up to me to get the kids to bed that first night. And let me tell you it was no piece of cake. I finally had to use a divide and conquer method. :) It was after midnight before they were all down for the night. Welcome back to motherhood!!!
Both Miles and Zipporah took their sibling visit this weekend. (Miles on Saturday and Zipporah on Sunday) They both wanted to help give Jonah a bath so I asked the nurse if he could have a bath two nights in a row and she agreed. Both kids were really good with the baby and will be big helper to mom once Jonah comes home. I have to mention this because it made me smile... when Miles got into the elevator to head to the NICU he asked "What's with the fancy elevator?" I guess the Women's Center in Logan is a bit newer than the University Hospital. :) Miles also go to read Goldilock and the Three Bears to Jonah and when asked to sing a song he chose the "family song" (I love Daddy, he loves me....etc. through the entire family) Zipporah told the Three Little Pigs story and sang Twinkle,Twinkle Little Star. I will post those pictures when I can find them.......
I love this picture of Jonah! I'm not sure if he is rooting or just being
squirmy but it shows off some of his personality.
Parker took a nap and decided to use Miles as a pillow. Miles is a really loving big brother when he wants to be.
4 comments:
Melissa, thanks for the update. I think about you and Patty all the time. I'm so glad you guys found each other down there. I was telling her you were there and I wondered if you knew her from Logan. You both are such amazing people. I feel blessed to have such great friends.
I can imagine that the adjustments would be hard to make. I had a really hard time with Jacie's birth after having Talden in AZ. It just isn't the same when you are used to something else. Hopefully you will be comfortable there soon.
I can't believe they only allow one visit. That just doesn't seem right. I guess they have to do what is best for the babies, but I agree that is disappointing.
I wish we were there to come see you. Thanks for posting the pictures. It is good to see your family.
Those are some cute pictures of you kids. What a sweetheart Miles is. Jonah looks bigger and healthier. Thanks for the update.
Jonah seems to be improving every day. That is wonderful. I love the picture of Miles and Parker. What a helper. Abby talks about Miles and Zipporah all the time, we miss seeing you, but I hope that everything works out for you. That is too bad that they only allow ine visit. I really like your family picture from a few weeks ago. I bet it was nice having all the family in the same room! Keep posting the pictures, I love being able to see how well everyone is doing!
The crazy part about the sibling policy, IMHO, is that if you have a 13yr. old and a baby in NICU...YOU HAVE TOO MANY KIDS!!!
Just Kidding...kind of! :-)
Malik
Post a Comment