Saturday, June 14, 2014

New Beginnings

The Why

Okay so there are obviously a lot of questions about our impending move to the home of Pirates, Steelers and, most importantly, the Penguins. The long and the short of it is this. In January/February we noticed that my paycheck from Utah Valley University was no longer sufficient. Really it was never sufficient but we had be making it work for nearly two years. But this was worse. Six days after the paycheck was deposited it was gone. We could not figure out why. In fact we had just paid off a large debt with our tax return so in actuality we should have been better off.
After confirming that this was not some coincidental anomaly that would run its course we made some changes. The worst of which was Melissa going to work full time for the first time since the twins were born. That has actually been hard on everyone in our family. Jonah doesn't understand why his mom is at work so long and I can't figure out how to help out more at the house and juggle everything else.

We will figure it all out and we will make it work but I've never felt more like I'm walking by faith than I do right now because we don't have answers for anything right now.

The Degree

The degree is a Masters of Arts in Food Studies at Chatham University it emphasizes food systems, from agriculture and food production to cuisines and consumption and culture, Food Studies is the interdisciplinary study that includes agricultural and culinary history as well as sociological, anthropological, political, economic, and geographic examinations of food production and consumption.

Job prospects

There are a number of job prospects that I've seen out there.



  • Buyer or Purchasing Manager  
  • Market Research Analyst
  • Organic Farm Certifier  
  • Public Researcher
  • Foodservice Director  
  • Nonprofit business management
  • Grant Administrator  
  • Food Safety Research, Policy & Outreach
  • Community Food Bank Program Coordinator
  • Land Stewardship Coordinator
  • Sustainable Agriculture Program Coordinator
  • Farm Educator
  • Community Food Education Program Manager 
  • Public Relations Specialist
The Real Goal

My goal is to be a university professor with a research focus in Food Anthropology with emphasis in food in religious communities and other close knit communal settings.  Which would provide the financial stability for me to do what it is I really want to do which is research, write, and speak (and stay in hotels) 

More to the point of that goal, however, is that I have a friend who is an adjunct professor at BYU and she has a goal to see a large number of black faculty at BYU in the future as well as a African American Studies program added to the curriculum. Neither of which is out of the realm of reality as BYU already has and African studies minor program. So the ultimate goal is to return to Provo/Orem to be a professor (and maybe one day Dean) in the Anthropology department of Brigham Young University. Professorship, however, is going to require a very lengthy PhD and I’m not allowed to talk about the PhD.  If the PhD option happens we'll be in Pitt, PA for 7ish years.
In general I figure I have almost 20 years in the food industry and to throw all that away to start all over in another field like graphic design or computers would be ridiculous.  I am still highly intriqued by food I simply no longer wish to cook professionally.  I want to cook because I want to not because I have to.  Besides there are certain aspects of life that our family would like to maintain and we can no longer do so with my current job qualifications.

No comments: