Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day 2009 began with breakfast in bed. Miles had already told me about the breakfast a few days before so it wasn't a surprise but it was fun to anticipate the kids making it. I had pancakes, eggs, sausage and juice. (I had requested bacon but apparently it was a little too crispy/burnt to be edible.)


After church I tried to get a picture of me and all the kids but it was painful.



On Mother's Day I had wanted to do something for the moms on bed rest at 2East in the Uof U hospital. I called ahead and made sure that it would be ok for me to bring in something and then spent the better part of two weeks deciding what to take. I decide on a house plant and card.

After church Zipporah, Jonah and I drove to Salt Lake where we picked up my sister Karen who helped us deliver the plants. I was worried that we would just have to drop them off and leave but the charge nurse was someone that recognized and remembered me. She gave me room numbers to the bed rest or newly delivered moms and let me deliver them myself. I was surprised at how emotional I got retelling my story to the moms. They were all friendly but it wasn't quite the visit that I had envisioned. Hopefully they appreciated the sentiment- I know that it was something that I NEEDED to do for me.


(I have no idea why Karen looks a foot taller than me. She must be standing on a box.)


7 comments:

Sterling said...

That is awesome moo! I am glad you were able to go and do that for the mother's. I am sure they appreciated it in their own way. Man that picture is pretty funny either your shrinking or Karen has been taking extra growth hormone. :)

Stephen and Heather said...

That was so thoughtful of you to think of the mothers on bedrest. And I have to agree that is a pretty funny picture. You must have been standing on a ramp or something. I am glad that you had a happy mothers day.

Karen said...

haha funny brother! I am not on Growth hormone. I do look quite hidious though don't I. I don't think I had one tall shoes either, girl you are shrinking. That was a fun day! Thanks for inviting me.

Kristi Rowley said...

That was very thoughtful and I'm sure appreciated. I remember receiving gifts like that and it meant alot. I took a little gift into the moms in Logan two years ago for mother's day, and I agree, I think it helped me more than them. It helped me have a some closer.

Tawnya said...

That was so sweet Melissa. You are so thoughtful. I am sure they were touched.

RainSplats said...

You're amazing! Most people don't make it passed the 'thinking about helping' stage.

When I was there, the gal next door gave me flowers she'd received instead of taking them home when she checked out. It made my day every day for a week....and I'd only just met her.

I would've LOVED getting a plant to keep me company during all those long hours.

Mom Marx said...

You deserve to be treated like a queen everyday by your children and husband! You are a thoughtful woman to think of others' needs. Did you give the hospital with one of Jonah's pictures - to show on their miracle baby board?